Thursday, September 27, 2012

And now what?

I did it! Against my better judgment , knowing that it's way too soon to be planning for a grandchild, I bought the first of many bits and pieces I plan on collecting over the next few months. It's as much a symbolic gesture as it is a practical thing. My thinking is to curate a 'hope chest' of sorts, full of  mundane, practical stuff so that my daughter and her husband can take care of the more stylish, personal choices. Newborn sized onesies seemed a good start ; a handy and oh so practical thing to have, especially for a baby due most likely in early June.

I also started my attempt at frugal living since things will be tight for a while now until I move. Best I can manage,  nothing in the way of clothes or personal care unless its on sale and store brand wherever practical. Managing my work so that I don't spend money on gas everyday when I can get everything done in fewer trips and running errands to suit where I'm going for work etc. Cutting back on the frills for just a while.

If, and that's a huge if, things go as hoped, I can see me moving early next Summer . That's a perfect world and we know that doesn't exist. My only hesitation is what my sons will do. One is working just about full time, doing well by all accounts (how should I know, he doesn't talk to me - long story) and can probably afford to pay for some kind of living situation and take care of himself. The other son? There's my problem. He seems quite undecided as to his future, having already dropped out of technical school for reasons that I supported, and says he will be attending the local county college come the New Year. For now, he is working but not making enough to put a roof over his head and pay the bills I don't think. If it came to it, I could probably help out but not too much. Then again, he's legally an adult and maybe I should just leave him to sort it out. Many would probably say I've done too much already and I should just step back and leave them both to figure it out. Easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment